Dual Diagnosis Treatment Centers In Los Angeles
Northbound is one of the top-rated dual diagnosis treatment centers in Los Angeles for alcohol and drug addiction disorders. We help individuals address their chronic substance abuse with our personalized care, customized recovery programs, and holistic treatments.
What Is Dual Diagnosis?
Dual diagnosis is the presence of addiction alongside a co-occurring mental health issue. Addiction often arises from an underlying mental condition like depression, anxiety, mood swings, PTSD, schizophrenia, etc. Individuals who suffer from dual diagnosis require treatment for their mental disorder alongside substance use for comprehensive recovery from their behavioral and psychiatric problems.
If you experience dual diagnosis-related symptoms, sign up for treatment at one of the co-occurring addiction treatment centers to garner the best outcome in recovery. Dual diagnosis treatment can help you overcome the mental health issues that trigger your drug use or alcohol consumption and equip you with critical coping skills for a sober life moving forward. We are a leading rehab facility specializing in mental health and substance use treatment with experienced therapists, mental health experts, and RNs.
What Mental Health Issues Present Alongside Addiction?
Mental disorders repeatedly present themselves alongside addiction. These disorders can sometimes become the underlying cause of addiction. Here are some of the mental health disorders linked to substance abuse:
- Bipolar disorder – Over 50% of people diagnosed with bipolar disorder struggle with addiction. Most BPD patients self-medicate with drugs and alcohol to seek temporary relief from emotional situations and manic episodes.
- Depression – Studies report that every 1 in 10 adults in the United States suffers from depression. Some people diagnosed with depression self-medicate with drugs or alcohol, making the problem worse.
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) – Anxiety is the most common mental health condition affecting 18% of the population over 18. Most adults with GAD often abuse drugs and alcohol to alleviate their symptoms.
We offer the best dual diagnosis addiction treatment in a world-class rehab center with a resolute clinical team. Our customized treatment approach and integrated healing programs help recovering addicts attain comprehensive recovery from dual diagnosis.
Dangers Of Self-Medication
Dual diagnosis can often cause individuals to self-medicate. Self-medication refers to using drugs or alcohol to mask the symptoms of a mental health condition. Nonetheless, using drugs as a coping mechanism can lead to addiction and worsen the underlying condition further. Here are a few examples illustrating how mental health illness patients self-medicate to cope with their psychiatric disorder:
- Consuming alcohol to feel less anxious in social events, gatherings, and situations.
- Taking Benzodiazepines like Xanax or Valium to postpone or prevent an oncoming panic attack.
- Using weed to deal with emotional pain, trauma, or grief.
- Smoking cocaine to increase productivity to perform daily tasks.
If you find yourself doing drugs or consuming alcohol to escape the symptoms of your mental health condition, seek co-occurring disorder treatment as soon as possible. Failing to seek help for substance use and co-occurring mental disorders in the initial stages of your illness can be a damaging decision and lead to regrettable consequences.
Verify your insurance with us at 866-311-0003. We are one of the top dual diagnosis treatment centers in Los Angeles, with science-based programs, excellent therapists, and holistic treatments. Northbound accepts most insurance plans and offers unsurpassed addiction care at affordable prices. Contact us today.